Priorities for Retinal Vascular Disease research
At a workshop held on 28 May 2013 attended by patients and eye health professionals the following top 10 priorities for retinal vascular disease research were identified:
- What are the best methods to prevent retinopathy of prematurity?
- How can sight loss from diabetic retinal changes be prevented and reduced?
- What are the predictive factors for the progression to sight threatening diabetic eye disease?
- Is there a way to improve screening of premature babies for retinopathy of prematurity?
- Can an effective long lasting treatment for diabetic macular oedema, both ischaemic and non-ischaemic, be developed?
- Can a retinal vein occlusion be predicted and prevented?
- Can new non-invasive treatments be developed to slow down the progression of diabetic retinopathy?
- What are the barriers that prevent diabetic patients having regular eye checks?
- What rehabilitation programmes are best for the management of distorted vision from retinal diseases?
- What is the efficacy and safety of anti-VEGF agents in the treatment of retinopathy of prematurity?