Priorities for Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) research
At a workshop held on 30 April 2013 attended by patients and eye health professionals the following top 10 priorities for AMD research were identified:
- Can a treatment to stop dry AMD progressing and/or developing into the wet form be devised?
- What is the cause of AMD?
- How can AMD be prevented?
- Are there ways of restoring sight loss for people with AMD?
- Can the development of AMD be predicted?
- What is the most effective way to detect and monitor the progression of early AMD?
- What factors influence the progression of AMD?
- Can a non-invasive therapy be developed for wet AMD?
- Can dietary factors, nutritional supplements, complementary therapies or lifestyle changes prevent or slow the progression of AMD?
- What are the best enablement strategies for people with AMD?